After visiting Heidelberg in 1878, American author Mark Twain began describing his impressions with the words: “A ruin must be rightly situated, to be effective. This one could not have been better placed.” We used blueprints from Max Dudler to construct the visitor centre in the midst of these ruins.
What is remarkable about this is that architect Max Dudler’s construction succeeds without having to invent new worlds. Instead, he builds afresh on the foundation of history, rewriting it in a contemporary context.
Regional Neckartäler Hartsandstein quarried near Eberbach/Germany was used for the new construction. The walls were built as masonry from this sandstone in a machine-split surface finish with barely visible joints, forming the shell of the building. The deeply set window embrasures give the walls a solid appearance and offer extra space inside the building.
We manufactured the façade, the terrace areas and the flat roof using Neckartäler Hartsandstein and also supplied the paving stones for the surrounding areas.